Philosophical cow dung on the life of little Ms. Imperfectly Fine.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tell Me by ANH Raffali Act 1

Act 1

Scene : The space acts as a living room. A two-seater sofa rests at the center, one-seater sofa is next to it, plus a coffee table. A shelf filled with CDs and books lined the wall behind the sofa. NURUL is using the coffee table while writing vigorously on her notepad, once or twice she looks into clear space, lost in thought. She silently mouths out words, as if to test them out. Suddenly, she breaks out of her trance-like state, finishes off her writing with a satisfied smile. Afterwards, she looks around, searching for something. She stands up, looking under the cushions. CASEY enters.

CASEY : Nurul, what are you doing?

NURUL : Have you seen my phone?

CASEY : Where was the last time you used it?

NURUL : Here. Somewhere here. (She gestures everywhere.)

CASEY : (She notices the phone lying on the coffee table.) Have you tried looking for it?

NURUL : That’s what I’m doing.

CASEY : No, have you tried looking?

NURUL : Hello, I’m looking.

CASEY : Oh, let me help. (She takes out her own phone, dials a number. The phone rings.)

NURUL : Oh, there it is. Thanks, Casey. Funny, I didn’t see it there.

CASEY : Yeah, it was practically screaming for your attention.

NURUL : Hey, hey, I’m over here, you dumb ass! (Laughs dryly.) I’m not feeling so well, maybe I’m sick.

CASEY : You better go to the clinic.

NURUL : Yeah, I should go see a doctor, get my eyes and my head checked.

CASEY : Well, maybe you should.

NURUL : Hold on a sec. (She dials a number on the phone, looking nervous and excited. She waits, hopeful. Her face slowly changes by the second, disappointed. She shakes her head, hit a button.)

CASEY : Mikail, huh? (They exchange knowing looks.) Don’t worry; he always calls back, right?

NURUL : Right. (She sits down on the two-seater sofa.) I hate to think of the day when he doesn’t.

CASEY : Hey, we talked about that a million times already. It’ll be his lost.

NURUL : Yeah, right.

CASEY : (She sits on the one-seater sofa.) Sometimes, I wonder what in the world you see in him that’s turning you into some lovesick schoolgirl.

NURUL : Oh, you won’t be the first. Welcome to the club.

CASEY : No, thanks. As much as I enjoy your company, honey, I don’t want to be in the same boat as you.

NURUL : Why not? We could go fishing? Or swimming, snorkeling perhaps?

CASEY : Don’t change the subject. It’s not healthy, you know, what you’re doing.

NURUL : What am I doing?

CASEY : I don’t know. This! You’re being too hopeful about it. You’re only going to get yourself hurt when it doesn’t work out the way you want it.

NURUL : What am I suppose to do then?

CASEY : Stop hoping, or start forgetting.

NURUL : Anything else?

CASEY : I hate to remind this to you, Nurul. But, it’s no use harping on how much you are so in love with the guy when he doesn’t seem to have any idea that you do. Because if he does, don’t you think he would have done something about it? He likes you, yes, but that’s just about it.

NURUL : I get your point, Casey. It’s just that, I can’t give up. I just can’t let go of the possibility that there might be something more.

CASEY : Then, do yourself and all of us a favor; go tell him what you want. Spill the contents of your heart out. God knows, you should have done it sooner.

NURUL : Oh, I wish it was that easy. Hey, Mikail, what’s up! Good, that’s good. By the way, I have something very important to tell you. Actually, I… The thing is, I… Oh, I can’t even say it. Casey, help me! Go get a gun and put me out of my misery. Maybe I need to shut myself up for good.

CASEY : Hmm… Tempting… Who knows, that would actually bring me peace. But, no, I can’t possibly. What would I do without your constant depressing ramblings to make me feel good about myself?

NURUL : (Laughs.) Start watching soap operas, at least that’s where this story would fit in. Don’t you think my life would be a great inspiration for drama?

CASEY : Not if I’m in it and I start canoodling (ehem ehem) with any relatives like your cousin’s sister’s husband’s brother.

NURUL : What, Alfie?

CASEY : Don’t start.

NURUL : Okay, okay.

CASEY : Hey, you have plans for later?

NURUL : Well, yeah… No, not yet.

CASEY : Which one is it?

NURUL : I was planning on planning something with Mikail.

CASEY : I see. So what is it that you’re planning on planning with Mikail? You’re meeting him up?

NURUL : That’s the plan. I finished writing the lyrics to a new song. So, I want him to check it out.

CASEY : Oh, great! Can I have a sneak preview?

NURUL : Sure. (She hands her the notepad and walks to get her guitar by the shelf.)

CASEY : What is it about? No, let me guess. (She closes her eyes as if in meditation.) I see a girl standing before a guy, the girl is unbuttoning her cream colored blouse and the guy seems to be enjoying himself.

NURUL : Enjoying himself? What kind of a vision are you having?

CASEY : Shh… You’re disrupting my transmission. I see her putting her right hand over her heart. She’s digging her nails into her chest. Oh my God, she’s sinking her fingers into the flesh. Oh, she’s pulling her heart out. What’s this? She’s giving it to him; she’s putting her wet scarlet heart into his slippery hands. All bloody and still beating.

NURUL : Ewe… Gross!

CASEY : You always had a vivid imagination.

NURUL : Oh, you’re good at giving me nightmares.

CASEY : Well?

NURUL : Well what?

CASEY : Is it about that?

NURUL : Some horror B-movie? Of course not.

CASEY : Oh, you know what I meant by it.

NURUL : So? Do I have to say it? You know me well enough.

CASEY : No, honey, you are see-through. Anybody who doesn’t know how you feel is either stupid or blind or stupid and blind.

NURUL : (Laughs, bitterly.) Isn’t that funny?

CASEY : Cheer up! (She reads the notepad.) Play.

NURUL : Sure. (She starts testing the sound of the guitar. After a few strums, suddenly her phone rings. She stops, for a quick moment, she relishes the sound.) Hey, Mikail! How’s it going? Yeah, I called. No, nothing important. Umm… Actually, I finish the song and thought you might want to have a listen. Really? I’m free later as well. Okay, I’ll catch you later. Okay, bubby!

CASEY : Nurul, if this is how it reads, I can’t wait to hear how it sounds.

NURUL : Well, I guess you just have to. I have to get myself ready. (Stands up.)

CASEY : I think you should have this recorded. Do an album or something.

NURUL : This plus my other hundred songs. An album? Who would buy it? Okay, I bet three people will. You, my mom and… Make that two. Heck, I won’t even buy it myself.

CASEY : But you just can’t let something this good be wasted. I bet there are plenty of good recording companies out there just dying to hear your songs.

NURUL : Really? The last time I checked, they are living pretty well off without me.

CASEY : I’m serious.

NURUL : Casey, it’s not that I don’t want to. In fact, I would really love to. Be on stage with my guitar, singing my songs, blowing kisses to the fans. But hey, I have that already.

CASEY : Your Friday night performances in that open-stage are nothing. You deserve something bigger. You deserve a singing contract with a top label, a big fan club.

NURUL : So, go on, start a big fan club for me.

CASEY : I told you already, I don’t want to be in the same club as you. But, that’s not the point. What are you afraid of?

NURUL : Oh, lots of things. I’m afraid that I’m not good enough to go professional. I’m afraid I’m just going to be another one-hit wonder. I’m afraid that one day the truth would hit me in the face to tell me that I can’t sing.

CASEY : But you can sing, and you can write beautiful songs. What more does it take to make it?

NURUL : Time. Lots and lots of it. Of which I don’t have at the moment. I have to go and get ready. I have a feeling that I’m going to be late.

CASEY : Alright, I’ll pressure you into agreement some other time.

NURUL : Thanks! (She leaves.)

CASEY : (She looks at the notepad again, sets it down, takes out her phone and dials a number.) Hello… hey baby. Nothing’s up. I just wanted to hear your voice. Yes, I’m alright and no, I haven’t been knocked on the head recently. I just wanted to hear your voice. (Laughs.) Well, now that I’ve heard it and convinced that it’s pretty much the same, I’ll leave you to your work, okay? Umm… Baby, I love you. Yeah, I know. Alright, I’ll see you soon. Bye, babe.

Light fades out.