Philosophical cow dung on the life of little Ms. Imperfectly Fine.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Mulder and Scully

I am not one of those who bottle their emotions. But that doesn't mean I easily allow people access to my thoughts. It's stratified screening, those I'm closest to can consider themselves privileged. So that leads to the question of this blog. Where do I draw the line in writing about stuff that may be too personal?

Most of the stuff I had written are stuff I want to talk about, mundane things of which perhaps only the curious wouldn't mind knowing. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. So the selected minority, i.e. my closest friends, suffer more for the fact that they are not curious about me and therefore obtain the more explicit content.

I never had a clear objective in writing for this blog. I just think too much and so decided I might as well document it in the hopes of making sense of it all. It proves to be working, I'm becoming more sensible in fact.

For instance, as much as I want to prove certain individuals wrong on their preconceived notions of a platonic relationship, I know I won't be able to do that by simply telling it straight to their faces. (yeah, I know I'm turning yellow starting from my nose) So I write not so much for them, but for my personal satisfaction of knowing that I understand.

It's either you have it or you don't and whether you want it or you won't. Simple eh?

If only.

What is a platonic relationship? A friendship based on trust, respect and understanding, free from physical desire. Putting it in context, Mulder and Scully.

So what makes this kind of relationship worth talking about in this blog. Easy, it makes up a large percentage of my interaction with members of the opposite sex. Yes, I am not shallow, I do believe that men are good if not better for stuff apart from anything sexual.

Often I think about my platonic relationships with oh so many wonderful guys. We tend to establish lasting friendship just because we are able to talk about things others would unintentionally leave out. Shared thoughts, differing ideas, the comfort of knowing that somehow someone accepts your opinion.

You don't expect anything more than that. You learn to appreciate it as beyond the ordinary guy and gal partnership. And no amount of romance could ever replace a sturdy shoulder to rest your head on, or a strong grip of the hand to pull you back up.

So I have more platonic relationships than I have fingers to count them with. And whomever say that it's bad has either no experience on the beauty of it, or just plain egoistical to admit defeat in the area of romance.