Philosophical cow dung on the life of little Ms. Imperfectly Fine.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Item no 6

I get misunderstood a lot. I don't know why, it could be my nature of being open yet not revealing. What they see might not necessarily be what they get. Just because I know stuff, doesn't mean I am an advocator. Just because I tend to be foolish at times, it doesn't mean I'm stupid and certainly not a stupid fool. Just because you think you've seen it all, doesn't mean you know who you're dealing with. Pardon me, if the latter sounds like a threat.

Regardless of their misconceptions, it had never been and hopefully will never be my intention to go out of my way, cracking my head just to prove anybody wrong. They would naturally discover that on their own. I remember my closest friends telling me that the first time they saw me, they thought I was some snobbish dumb 8!+[# who dyed her hair brown just so she could look smarter (figure of speech).

What other flatteries did they come up with? Oh, plenty! I'm an insane party-goer with a zest for some afterparty fun. Oh, I wish I am the life of the party, but the parties I go to are sometimes dead upon arrival and no amount of clever resuscitation on my part could change that. But if you let me inside a gig or a jam studio, well then I might show you some rock and roll after all.

And there's that I'm a spoiled-only-child-from-a-filthy-rich-family idea. Some parts are true, yes I'm a spoiled brat but my family is cleanly rich with laughter, joy and love that could never be bought with papers or plastics. At the end of the day, I consider myself to be very fortunate knowing that others see how happy I am with my life without certain luxuries.

I guess that's why I tend to feel out of place with strangers, like I'm not quite there. This deserves a deeper analysis of which would take more of my time so I'll just touch on the surface. My friends know that I'm not one to hang about that much in the day when I'm always rushing to be somewhere particularly, the library. Yes, I'm nerdy. A geek professionally. I eat books as a supplement.

And even afterwards, I don't make it a habit to go out and stay up late until the wee hours drinking coffee(I prefer tea). I do enjoy the company of my friends, but I don't mind being alone and do things on my own. And being my friends in the first place, they understand. I love to laugh and fool around and make jokes not out of meanness because even if the mean jokes are on me, I'd laugh anyway. The difference between what your friends think of you and what others might do, is that your friends took the time to understand by accepting you as you are and reserving their comments.

What irks me is the fact that we make instant judgement of people, great if its good but troublesome if we are quick to dismiss a person as no good just because of some tiny bits of info that might not be correct in the first place. The question is why do we allow ourselves to do it at all? How come we conclude other people based on our skewed first ideas on them instead of really getting to know one another?

I know I am guilty of that sometimes, but at least I'm willing to admit it. Imagine some people going on with their lives thinking that they are right about people all the time and denying themselves the pleasant surprise of knowing more than what meets the eye. These people are quick to criticize and discriminate, nitpicking on the smallest misconstrued details and make a complete background analysis on them.

And to think that they can just be frank and ask. "Hey, are you a voracious nymphomaniac bent on taking over the world?" Um.. no. But I can be whatever you want me to be, honey. ;p

My point is, it's so easy to be wrong about someone, but that doesn't mean it's difficult to find out the real deal. Give yourself a chance by giving other people their chance. Who knows, you might get to meet a voracious nymphomaniac after all.

As for me, I'll always try to keep my eyes close and my heart open.