Philosophical cow dung on the life of little Ms. Imperfectly Fine.

Monday, December 17, 2007

Music Weekend

A weekend of music. Being sick has never been more fun.

I had a terrible flu on Saturday. Had to miss a gig I was really looking forward on. Once I was feeling a little better, I decided to meet up my jamming friends for some music therapy. I dragged Jannah along who was only too happy to accompany me.

But we didn't get to jam anyway since we couldn't get hold of my guitarist. So Jannah and I along with my friend Islah went to the Curve instead. There wasn't anything special going on but we kinda made it special by hanging out by the walkway and playing the guitar like nobody's business. I played a few songs, Islah played a few songs, but the best part was when he showed me some tricks on the guitar. It dawned on me that I might end up like the female version of John Mayer if I really set my heart on it. ;p

I bought my first guitar in December of 2003. I remembered that it was raining when we stubbornly marched our way to the store that sells guitars, Faizah and I. You see, we made a deal that since I was too poor to afford a guitar on my own, Faizah was willing to chip in her money for joint custody. She kept the receipt for some time until I was able to pay her back in full. With our limited knowledge on guitars, we picked based upon what looked good to us. So we got fortie6, an inexpensive blue acoustic Omeya guitar with a cutaway.

I didn't have anybody that could teach me how to play so I acquired the basic knowledge of chords through books on my own. I was frustrated with trying to play other people's songs and failing miserably so I ended up writing my own songs so I could play the guitar anyway. I understand now that my inability and impatience in learning other songs impede on the development of my guitar playing skills.

But I wasn't really passionate about guitars or singing. I do it occasionally, jamming as often as I could, juggling it with other activities like debating and school. And it wasn't until I went to Japan that I rediscovered my passion for music.

I bought my second guitar, Johney Honey after watching a John Mayer concert in Ebisu Hall in Tokyo. I was inspired to play again not so much by Mr. Mayer but really through having Japanese friends who are really passionate about music and would bring their guitars along wherever they go and play them whenever they can. And of course, there was Jeff, my lecturer as well as guitar hero who taught me a lot and moved me to sing my heart out.

Top this with a certain muse that came into play around the same time and I became everything that I am now. Just a girl in love with her guitar, wishing that she could express her thoughts and ideas and wicked dreams to those who are willing to listen and be inspired. I am grateful to be surrounded by people who shares the same love and ideas as I do when it comes to music. Even more when they are able to inspire me.