Philosophical cow dung on the life of little Ms. Imperfectly Fine.

Monday, December 26, 2005

Go Go Go!!!

I had an accident. A genuine car crash, wait a minute... Correction; it was a kart crash.
Last week, my good-humored and well-intentioned friends, that consists of (in alphabetical order) Aidan, Amin, Amir and Justynn, talked me into having a go at the go-kart. Thanks to my dear and lovely Justynn, poor little me, having no previous experience driving more than 80kmph, reluctantly placed my left foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator, as my hands nervously gripped on the steering wheel.

I was bloody nervous. When the guy jumpstarted the engine, I released the break carefully and the little thing started to move. I was the first of the five to go particularly because; I just wanted to get it over and done with.

Man, it was sooo cool. At first it was pretty slow and scary but when it picked up speed, I became more and more confident and started to enjoy myself, like I really really enjoyed myself. When I took my first corner, I heartily congratulate little inexperienced me for a nice turn of the wheel. A tip from Aidan rang in my ear the whole time, brake into corners, and accelerate when getting out. I managed to stay inside the track, well, most of the time.

When you become more and more confident, you start to get a little ambitious. That was what happened to me and here is the story. I was picking up speed as I grew used to the little thing and seeing the gang way in front, I wanted it to go faster and faster. I swerved the car into a tight corner and this is entirely my bad, I can't remember what actually happened, but all of a sudden the car refused to comply and ran straight into the protective barrier. My little speed-devil jammed me into the row of tires and got stuck there. The first thought that crossed my head seconds before the crash was, 'Oh, God. Please don't die!'

Kablam!

When I opened my eyes, I couldn't see anything except for the pitch blackness of the tires that was practically in front of my helmeted face. I've got battle scars on the back of my right hand, with tire tracks possibly permanently imprinted on it. I skinned my hips and hurt my shoulders. But I lived to tell the tale. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this was not the end of little Ms. Ana's adventure on the little wheels.

After they drag my poor bruised little kart out of the toppled mountain of tires. They restarted the engine and I was good and eager to go. Another lap brought me back to the site of the crash and as I carefully steer my way, I realized how easy it was if I had been more careful and a bit more experienced. So it is true that experience is one of the best teachers, pain is also on the list. The rain prevented me from having a couple of extra laps but I had one of the best first-times in my life.

Listening as I recounted what happened before and after the crash, the guys agreed that I was well on my way of becoming a speed junkie. I was on a high.